[JPL] Rhythms del Mundo: Cuba - New CD

Andy Cahn cahnmedia at comcast.net
Tue Nov 7 19:53:34 EST 2006

I'm curious to hear what people think of the CD compilation called RHYTHMS
DEL MUNDO: CUBA, mostly featuring very tasteful Afro-Cuban reworkings of
recent pop/rock tunes.  The disc also Ibrahim Ferrer's last studio sessions
on a Spanish-language version of "As Time Goes By."

Are there tracks on the CD that fit with how you play any Latin/Cuban music
on your station?  If you don't have the CD yet, you can hear tracks online
and learn more about it at www.rhythmsdelmundo.com.

The track list is detailed below with notes on how each song inovolves
elements of the original recordings.  Some of the tracks feature the Cuban
band doing an inverted-Karaoke move, playing their arrangement along with
the original vocal track.

I'd be happy to send you a CD for airplay if you were not on my original
mailing list.  A "clean" version of the Arctic Monkeys' "Dancing Shoes" is
available on request.

Sales benefit two charities - Artists' Project Earth, (on behalf of
climate-change awareness) and Music Rising (an instrument replacement fund
for musicians from the Gulf Coast).

If you're interested in an interview about this project, the album's
executive producer, and Artists' Project Earth founder, Kenny Young will be
available by phone in late November and early December.  Young is a
successful pop songwriter with 40 years of hits ("Under the Boardwalk,"
"Arizona," many others), and his environmental activism has been recognized
by the UN.  His 1980 composition for Quincy Jones, "Ai No Corrida," also
receives the Buena Vista treatment on "Rhythms del Mundo: Cuba"

All the best,

Andy Cahn
Cahn Media
200 West Washington Square #2302
Philadelphia, PA 19106
cahnmedia at comcast.net
215-279-7632
http://cahnmedia.blogspot.com

----------------------------

RHYTHMS DEL MUNDO: CUBA

* Cuban band with original vocal track
+ Cuban band and vocal
= Cuban band and vocal with samples from original

1. Clocks - Coldplay * =
2. Better Together - Jack Johnson *
3. Dancing Shoes - Arctic Monkeys *
4. One Step Too Far - Dido & Faithless *
5. As Time Goes By - Ibrahim Ferrer +
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2 & Coco Freeman =
7. She Will Be Loved - Maroon 5 *
8. Fragilidad - Sting *
9. Killing Me Softly - Omara Portuondo +
10. Ai No Corrida - Vania Borges feat. Quincy Jones +
11. Modern Way - Kaiser Chiefs *
12. Don't Know Why - Vania Borges  +
13. Hotel Buena Vista - Aquila Rose & Idania Valdez +
14. The Dark of the Matinee - Coco Freeman / Franz Ferdinand =
15. High and Dry - El Lele de Los Van Van / Radiohead =
16. Casablanca (As time goes by) - Ibrahim Ferrer & Omara Portuondo +