[JPL] Black vs White

OntheBeach at aol.com OntheBeach at aol.com
Wed Nov 8 15:22:05 EST 2006

while many of us bask in the post-election glow, this remains a real and
difficult issue.

one which reminds us that although we have come a long way, we still have a
long way to go.

certainly, [obviously?!] a person's color should not be a factor in signing
a jazz artist to a label. the decision should be based on skill, artistry,
marketability/appeal (irrespective of genre or style) and how that artist fits
into a label's roster...but sadly we know that sometimes it is.

at the same time it should be apparent by reviewing labels rosters, and the
eras associated with certain executives that some people's comfort zones are
different.  this would seem to explain why certain label's skew so far in  one
direction or the other.

clearly there are jazz executives who are comfortable with all kinds of
people, and their rosters are reflective of this.  conversely a review of  some
companies artist rosters might suggest there are other executives who are  not
comfortable sitting in a room with any number of people of color.  sad  but
what other explanation is there?

those of us who care do our parts to bring about change, to celebrate
diversity. a deserving artist should not be given less support just because they
have ended up on a label with a narrower view.

therein lies the challenge: how do we send a message that has some  teeth  to
a narrow minded executive and remain fair and even handed?

i for one chose a label identity that brings together a blend of black  &
white.

ricky schultz