[JPL] Black vs White

MFA - Jazz Publicity & Radio Promotion MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net
Wed Nov 8 16:50:06 EST 2006

Interesting discussion.

I don't choose the music I listen to or play on my radio program or
promote through my business based on a person's color nor do I think
do any of us.  Either the music is good or it isn't.  Period.

Yet the audience for jazz has historically been white either in a
live context or as far as consumers who buy jazz sound recordings are
concerned.  The executives running jazz labels have historically been
white.  The publicists and promoters working the music to press and
radio have historically  been white.  Journalists writing about jazz
have historically been white.  The majority of the people programming
jazz radio today are white (i.e. music directors / jazz directors /
program directors).

Until I pointed it out to the owners of the 2 jazz labels I have run
(CMP in Germany, Synergy Music in Denver), neither had cared that
there was not a single title in the catalogue where the lead artist
was black and very few if any of the sidemen were black.

I am currently on a panel (95% white) at Augusta State University to
choose artists for a concert series as part of a jazz curriculum in
the winter of 2007 and after suggestion after suggestion was made I
seemed to be the only one to notice that none of the artists being
suggested were black.  So I pointed that out.  Now we have a list of
possible jazz bands that includes both black and white leaders.

Jazz originated as an American art form that emerged from the African-
American experience.  Today there are a ton of non-American artists
playing jazz in Europe and Asia, for example, who are not black.  As
far as my personal taste is concerned -- and I am not going to even
attempt to explain it (or understand it or question it or analyze it
-- the majority of the music I enjoy outside Western classical music
is created by non-whites.

Any venture involving jazz that is monochromatic from either a black
or a white perspective is not representing the current complexion of
the art form as well as it can.  The same goes for gender -- not sure
what the make-up of the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra is today but I
do know that Wynton has gotten grief for not having a woman in the
core band (they already got into trouble re: age discrimination and
racial discrimination.)  Of cours the gender issue is not reserved to
jazz -- the venerable Vienna Philharmonic is picketed every time it
appears at Carnegie Hall for not having "enough" women.

M 2 ¢

Mitchell

mfa - mitchell feldman associates
2059 Heckle Street
Augusta, GA 30904 / USA
Phone:	706.550.0263
Cell:      303.641.4783
Email:	MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net

...publicity, radio promotion & consulting for the international jazz
community