[JPL] gender

JanLeder at aol.com JanLeder at aol.com
Wed Nov 8 17:41:47 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/8/2006 5:01:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net writes:

The same  goes for gender -- not sure
what the make-up of the Lincoln Center  Jazz Orchestra is today but I
do know that Wynton has gotten grief  for not having a woman in the
core band (they already got into  trouble re: age discrimination and
racial discrimination.)  Of  cours the gender issue is not reserved to
jazz -- the venerable  Vienna Philharmonic is picketed every time it
appears at Carnegie  Hall for not having "enough" women.

M 2  ¢

Mitchell

It's my understanding that the (American) classical orchestras, once  they
began using blind auditions, quickly became roughly 50% populated by  women.
Jazz has yet to do this, and I believe for this reason there still  exists
something of a glass ceiling for women in jazz.  The LCJO and other  professional
orchestras, both the black and the white ones I know (and I feel  sad that I
can even say that!) still rarely include women  instrumentalists.  I believe
it's different in the universities, but  I'm talking about professional groups
here.

I would venture to guess that blind auditions in jazz would produce
multi-racial groups with equal gender as well as age distribution.  Music  doesn't
know these differences, and most musicians I know really don't  care.  It's when
it comes time to market the music that those  things usually come into
consideration.  (My 2 cents~)

Jan Leder
_www.janleder.info_ (http://www.janleder.info)
author, Women in Jazz: A Discography of Instrumentalists 1913-1968
(Greenwood Press 1985)