[JPL] Pat Patrick solos

Richard Paske rpaske at bitstream.net
Sat Nov 11 13:38:15 EST 2006

One of my favorites is "Two Tones" from Sun Ra Visits Planet Earth (El
Saturn LP 207, re-issued as Evidence ECD 22039-2 in a twofer with
Interstellar Low Ways). "Two Tones" was co-composed by Patrick and Charles
Davis, also heard on bari. Frankly, I'm not sure which solos are Patrick's
and which are Davis', but the tune never fails to elicit a smile from my
lips. This music is from Ra's late-1950s "space-bop" period and is an
absolute delight. I had the good fortune to hear the band many times live in
the 1980s when they would careen from space-bop to Fletcher Henderson to
totally free freakout without skipping a beat. Under these circumstances my
smile would appear as soon as they hit the stage, and would not vacate my
face until hours after they had stopped playing. To my ears, Sun Ra was one
of the true keepers of the flame that stretches back to Africa, passes
through the American South, Kansas City, Chicago, and Harlem and forward
into the unforeseen beyond...

He and his cohorts kept the music moving.