[JPL] Still another Jazz Show Nov 5

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 03:19:55 EST 2006

Still Another Jazz Show   Nov 5

KEEFE JACKSON'S FAST CITIZENS    “Ready Everyday”
READY EVERYDAY     Delmark Records

DAVID BINNEY     “London”    CITIES AND DESIRE
Criss Cross Records

SATHIMA BEA  BENJAMIN     “Indian Summer”    SONG
SPIRIT    Ekapa Records, S.A.

RUSS KASSOFF   “it Never Entered My Mind”
SOMEWHERE     RHK Jazz

LARRY VUCKOVICH TRIO  “Street Scene”   STREET SCENE
Tetrachord  Records

MARCUS GOLDHABER      “Honeysuckle Rose”  “Be Careful
It's My Heart”   THE MOMENT AFTER   Fallen Apple
Records

FRED FRIED   “With A Song In My Heart”   THE WISDOM OF
NOTES     Ballet Tree Records

HALLMARKS:  THE BEST OF JIM HALL    “Simple Samba”
Concord/TELARC/Milestone Records

MICHELE ROSEWOMAN & QUINTESSENCE     “Warm” “With You
In Mind”
THE INSIDE OUT     Advance Dance Disques

MICHAEL WOLFF   “Tell Me”  “Mellow Yellow”  LOVE AND
DESTRUCTION
Wrong Records

JOHN PATITUCCI    “The Root”    LINE BY LINE
Concord Jazz

WAYNE WALLACE     “Blues Image”   DEDICATION
Patios Records

REEDS & DEEDS    “She”  “Hittin' The Jug”    COOKIN'
   Criss Cross Records

JASON MORAN    “Arizona Landscape”	ARTIST IN RESIDENCE
 Blue Note

TED NASH     “In The Loop”     STILL EVOLVED IN THE
LOOP

KEEFE JACKSON'S FAST CITIZENS begin with the title
tune, “Ready Everyday”   from the cd of the same name.
 The next time the Bears play Chicago, I expect to see
some footage. Keefe Jackson is part of Chicago's  jazz
nu wave, an out crop of the Art Ensemble of
Chicago's,extending jazz vein into blues modern avant
gard.  Don't mean to be overly precocious, but  late
night coffee frapachinos don't get it done here.
That's not where true believers are coming from.  When
it comes to the music,  it's all good if devoid of the
ordinary “modern jazz.” For the post modern wonders
are suspect of selling out. However let's face it,
the sell out is not what it seems. If the national
exposure to jazz was there as it was in the past, then
it would a source of controversy to pit old school
against nu school and traditional to plu perfect
modern. However, only certain publications would be
cool with it.  What we have here is a symposium of
acoustic modern instrumentation as Josh Berman  blows
some nice cornet, a sort of Nat Adderley
interpretation to modern bop then Fred Lonberg-Holm
pushing the bubble on cello as the tune ascends to
multiple levels spacing an intercontinental missile
with multiple war heads. There is an interesting
dichotomy in this CD. Straight ahead meets  out
worldly altercation, especially with saxophones
ganging up multiplicity on  the cello. Which means
everything is good in the end as eternal conflict is
resolved. Only the committed are sacrosanct. This is
not Kenny G territory. Now this DAVID BINNEY CD fits
right into our scheme of things with his new CITIES
AND DESIRE.   What a great title! Strenberg meets
Charles Mingus. I think many of the New Classic
composers would have dug Charles, as does David Binney
with co saxophonist Mark Turner.  We played “London,”
a nice progressive lick for both moderns to fully
extend their virtuous swinging with the expertise of
Craig Taborrn on piano, Thomas Morgan, bass and Dean
Weiss on drums.   SATHIMA BEA BENJAMIN  is next with a
 superb compilation of her work over the  years called
SONG SPIRIT. We played “Indian Summer” a beautiful
Victor Herbert song and Sathima does it in a special
way with Kenny Barron on piano. This CD is one you
don't want to miss with featured celebrated artists as
Duke Ellington, Kenny Barron and Abdullah Ibrahim.
This is truly a special CD, especially with Bea's
charming Capetown accent set to a swinging version,
about as unique as you can get.
RUSS KASSOFF concludes this segment  with “It Never
Entered My Mind” from his new SOMEWHERE CD.  Kassoff
is a crisp and lucid pianist, who knows how to turn a
phrase with discipline and dynamics to near
perfection. No wonder Sinatra who was a stickler for
tempo loved to sing with this man.
LARRY VUCKOVICH TRIO opens the next segment with a
classic title tune from his newest CD, STREET SCENE.
Vuckovich is from a similar school as Kassoff, a
hybrid of the fifties- sixties scene with all the
vibrancy the music has to offer. And still does
because of these very special practitioners and in the
case of Vuckovich spawns other new modern talents as
with Larry Grenadier, a San Franciscan,  whose early
schooling with Mr Vuckovich enhanced his know how as
one of the worlds top bassists. He's  currently a
member of the Brad Mehldau trio. Akira Tana is also
one of the top jazz drummers whose rather busy
syncopation fits right in at the moment.
MARCUS GOLDHABER  saunters up to the microphone next
with selections from his newest THE MOMENT AFTER.
Goldhaber has an interesting story. His family used to
sing the old standards and it was intriguing to him.
Reminds me of my family and how my dad mumbled around
the house like Bing Crosby. My late younger brother
loved music and made it his career, The Beatles, The
Beach Boys and for some reason he loved Benny Goodman.
  It's all about exposure and you hear the joy and
exuberance in Goldhaber's presentation. As if he had
been there when small intimate audiences held hands
while listening, for music and love makes the world go
round!  We played Fats Waller's “Honeysuckle Rose” and
“Be Careful It's My Heart.”  Goldhavber's style
somewhat resembles Chet Baker and Bobby Short who were
more musician than singer and yet their styles are
most memorable. And that's what Marcus Goldhaber is
all about.
FRED FRIED and his marvelous seven string acoustic
guitar is next from his newest THE WISDOM OF TRUTH.
This is a very tasty moment of truth with Mr Fried
played amply as a Tal Farlow  and George Van Eps with
one more string to add to the garnish of  the ever
popular six string. We played “With A Song In My
Heart.”
HALLMARK'S  THE BEST OF JIM HALL is a 2 CD compilation
 of his most memorable  moments on record. We played
“Simple Samba” in 1971.   It's only one of many fine
recordings by Jim Hall over this period. He's one the
most profound and  consistent guitarists of  the
modern era.
MICHELLE  ROSEWOMAN  & QUINTESSENCE begins the second
hour  with selections from her new CD,  THE IN SIDE
OUT. Articulate and gangly as a jazz funk can be,
Michelle's a woman originally from Oakland, same
hometown as Carla Bley and learning her lesson in
modern funk very well. Was she at one  time, a Sly And
The Family Stone fan? Who knows, purely speculative.
She does have a latent contemporary quality in her
work, however it's much richer with layer upon layer,
Latin upon funk upon free jamming with saxophonists,
Mark Shim Miquel Zenon and  new wave trombonist Josh
Roseman. Is Rosewoman and Roseman just a  coincidence?
There are evidences whern you listen to this music of
mid eastern flavors, lush and lurid as a gumbo stew.
We played  “Warm” and “With You In Mind(for Duke.)
Michelle Rosewoman is exploratory and contemplative,
starting with a pop sense to a more sophisticated
imprint especially evident in “Link,” as well, to a
perfect segue if there's such a thing...
MICHAEL WOLFF and his new LOVE AND DESTRUCTION CD.
Michael will lead you in a pop vein and throw in some
logistically eloquent  higher requiems as “Tell Me,” a
plea from Katrina flood victims and well as
“Underwater,” for there's a nobility in suffering and
we don't  imply that idylly. Then a
mantra...'everything in it's right place'  with an
undulating tabla, Rhodes and other percussions. There
some excellent 'covers' with Leonard Cohen's,
“Hallelujah,” Donovan's “Mellow Yellow”  and Warren
Zevon's, “Hostage O,”  This new Michael Wolff Cd is a
warm and eloquent piece of work.
Bassist JOHN PATITUCCI concludes this segment with his
newest, LINE BY LINE CD.   Patitucci plays a six
string electric bass which is quite effective offering
the flexibility of rhythm guitar. We played “Roots,” a
nice open range song with almost a Baroque quality in
it's tight arrangement.    This is a heavy weight
group with Brian Blade, Chris Potter, Adam Rogers and
in other parts of this Cd , a string section,
including Sacha Patitucci on cello. We'll have to play
“Theme And Variations for 6-String Bass and Strings, a
beautiful melodic piece.
Bay area trombonist WAYNE WALLACE  begins the last
segment of SAJS with his new Big Band Cd , DEDICATION.
  We played a Wallace original, “Blues Image” sounding
like Ernie Wilkins, but definitely Wayne Wallace post
modern a definite aversion to Oliver Nelson with Afro
Cuban percussion as on John Coltrane's “Mr.  Day.”
There are some excellent musicians as in Mary Fettig,
Frank Martin, Andrea Brachfeld,  Hafez Modirzadeh and
Masaru Koga.
REEDS AND DEEDS is next with a new COOKIN' CD. This is
the tenor combo of Eric Alexander and Grant Stewart,
a similar flavor to the Johnny Griffin/ Eddie
“Lockjaw” Davis quintet. We played George Shearing's,
“She” and Gene Ammons, “Hittin The Jug.” Listen to “So
In Love,” and learn how these turned into fierce
competitions , one cutting the other as they would
gleefully jumped up trading smoke and licks. The jam
Session.  For this it what is was, and how it goes.
History is replete with famous after hours sessions,
smoked filled, sweat browed and sublimely sweet.
JASON MORAN is next with his ARTIST IN RESIDENCE CD.
Raised on Jackie Byard  theory of nu bop, almost
stride in appearance, yet true to bebop principle and
a prominent sideman with the experimental Greg Osby.
The young man plays well, beautifully fusing
progressive and  neo classic romanticism as in
“Milestone” with his wife, Alicia Hall Moran's lovely
voice. We  played “Arizona Landscape,” almost a Roy
Rogers nostalgic refrain, and yet quite a beautiful
reminiscent of reprisals and anecdotes of the new
West.
We conclude with young saxophonist TED NASH and his
latest STILL EVOLVED  IN THE LOOP.   This has a
remarkable propensity for modal thematics. Up front
this has all the elements, swing, soul and homeopathy.
This quintet has all votes in place, with Marcus
Printup, master trumpetplayer and others, in the name
of Frank Kimbrough, piano, Ben Allison, bass and Matt
Wilson drums. A consummate group. We had as drink in
Detroit, beef consumme and vodka, called a  BULL SHOT.
  There's a slight cynicism and humor to it. That's
where the hard bop comes from...

Later....

Dick Crockett
STILL ANTOTHER JAZZ SHOW