[JPL] Clive Davis article - The saviors of jazz may be hot new singers, n...

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Thu Nov 16 12:49:22 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/16/2006 12:21:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
eric at jazzrendezvous.co.za writes:

<<..I found this article posted on the songbirds mailing list. My  question is
what do member of the JPL think of what Clive Davis has to say  in the
following story..>>

It's an interesting thesis. My instinctive, non-researched reaction is that
big-name singers, such as those mentioned in the article, command fees that
are  many times more than instrumentalists. That's why you see them in big
concert  venues and not intimate club settings. So, while these vocalists provide
employment opportunities for their musicians, to say they're the savior of
Jazz  is very arguable.

Ed