[JPL] Betty Mabry (Davis)

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 13:27:09 EST 2006

In putting together ideas for my R&B Chronicles show one artist in particular I would like feature on one program is Betty Davis. I'm sure many of you know she was Miles' second wife and her photo is on the cover of the "Kilimanjaro" release. She was also what many believe to be the first true funk female singer. Deep in it in fact. Way ahead of her time with her open sexuality and grit. There were many musicians that were part of her groups before they became famous like the Pointer Sisters and Larry Graham.....before Graham Central.

  There is even more intriguing history with her and perhaps she unknowingly helped plant the seeds for jazz fusion. She was the one that introduced Miles to Hendrix and Sly Stone. In fact her relationship with Jimi...or should I say affair.....was the reason her marriage ended with Miles. That said Miles and Jimi remained good friends afterward. It was this relationship that helped to shape Miles' concept for "Bitches Brew." There were plans as many of you know for the two to record together but Jimi died before that happened as I understand it. Would anyone know if she is still alive and have more info to share on her? Sly even wrote a  tribute to Miles....called "Miles and Miles" or something very close to that title. Anyone ever heard it? Thanks for any help.....

  Jae Sinnett