[JPL] Betty Mabry Davis

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 16 18:34:52 EST 2006

>Eric, I've heard "They Say I'm Different" years ago but don't have and
>don't know who's on it. I mentioned to Mark that I had heard it was some of
>Herbie Hancock's band members at the time. Is that true? I would love to
>know who's on it as well as Mark.
>   Jae

from All Music guide:

Betty Davis' second full-length featured a similar set of songs as her
debut, though with Davis herself in the production chair and a radically
different lineup. The openers, "Shoo-B-Doop and Cop Him" and "He Was a Big
Freak," are big, blowsy tunes with stop-start funk rhythms and Davis in her
usual persona as the aggressive sexual predator. On the title track, she
reminisces about her childhood and compares herself to kindred spirits of
the past, a succession of blues legends she holds fond -- including special
time for Bessie Smith, Chuck Berry, and Robert Johnson. A pair of unknowns,
guitarist Cordell Dudley and bassist Larry Johnson, do a fair job of
replacing the stars from her first record. As a result, They Say I'm
Different is more keyboard-dominated than her debut, with prominent electric
piano, clavinet, and organ from Merl Saunders, Hershall Kennedy, and Tony
Vaughn. The material was even more extreme than on her debut; "He Was a Big
Freak" featured a prominent bondage theme, while "Your Mama Wants Ya Back"
and "Don't Call Her No Tramp" dealt with prostitution, or at least inferred
it. With the exception of the two openers, though, They Say I'm Different
lacked the excellent songs and strong playing of her debut; an explosive and
outré record, but more a variation on the same theme she'd explored before.
~ John Bush, All Music Guide