[JPL] Ruth Brown Passes

Tom Mallison tomthejazzman at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 17 14:01:47 EST 2006

This is all the notice I need to go public with the announcement regarding Ruth Brown.  ALOHA  Tom
Friday, November 27, 2006

For Immediate Release:

I have just received word from my colleagues at Festival Productions that the great Ruth Brown passed away this morning.  Evidently she had been on life support.

I have no other information at this time.

One of my fondest memories of Ruth was when she sang so beautifully at the funeral of our friend, LaVern Baker.

Another memory was hanging out with her backstage at the Rockport Rhythm & Blues Festival in Newport, Rhode Island when she showed up backstage in a hot pink pant suit with a big bowler hat in order to say hello to Aretha in her trailer.  Aretha opened her trailer door and shouted, “Hey baby!  Come on in!!”

Sue Auclair