[JPL] Robert Altman, Leading Director, Dies at 81

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 21 14:42:13 EST 2006

>Robert Altman, Leading Director, Dies at 81
>
>Robert Altman, who was behind "M-A-S-H," "Nashville" and "The
>Player," died at a Los Angeles Hospital, his production
>company told The Associated Press. He was 81.

Thanks for sending this. Altman was a brilliant director. For jazz fans, the
soundtrack to his film The Long Goodbye has Jack Sheldon singing and playing
the memorable title song. It's a haunting tune (melodically, harmonically,
w/lyrics by Johnny Mercer) and it shows up numerous times throughout the
film in various configurations. It's such a wonderful song, I'm surprised
vocalists have never picked up on it. Altman's film Kansas City (one of his
least successful efforts) has a musically rich soundtrack with David Murray,
James Carter, Joshua Redman, Geri Allen, Kevin Mahagony, Ron Carter,
Chistian McBride, Craig Handy, Olu Dara and others. There is a featurette
that ran on PBS soon after of just the music numbers with all of these
musicians on camera. For fans of Leonard Cohen, check how Altman used his
music so effectively in McCabe & Mrs. Miller. There's a lot to discover in
his films.

Larry Appelbaum
WPFW-FM