[JPL] Ray/Basie Band

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 20:31:51 EDT 2006

Well, I must confess that when I first heard about this idea....my thoughts weren't about the positive. Now that I've listened....and listened again.....I'm truly blown away. Knowing what we do about this project it's astonishing how this was put together - at the level it is. Musicians were definitely involved in this editing and mixing process which was the smartest thing John could have done. Well, they had to be involved. Very good ones.

  The number one thing that is impressive to me is how the band and the arrangements are paralleling Ray's "energy." Truly amazing. I hear some pitch and time situations.....like the band at times slowing down or speeding up to match the time of Ray's vocals or him singing slightly sharp to the band like on "Let the Good Times Roll." These are some of the potential problems in putting together a project like this - like matching the time and pitches but the technology today is amazing. You can change pitches...speed up or slow down the piece without changing the pitch and a kzillion other things which I'm sure they used a lot of to make it work. I would bet they left some of that in there to make it sound more "human." I honestly believe that if we didn't know how this was put together most would never have a clue. Great job.

  Jae Sinnett
  WHRV FM
  Norfolk VA