[JPL] Ray/Basie Band

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 4 21:22:33 EDT 2006

... a series of artistic frauds?

Harrrumph!   Humbug!    This discussion reminds me a bit of when people
complained in the 17th and 18th centuries the violin could (or should)
never replace the viola, and flutes should be made of wood, not metal!
  And  as for that newfangled contraption the pianoforte, it will never
replace the sweet sounding harpsichord!

Also, I had a friend who claimed jazz could never be recorded, because
once you recorded it, it was "no longer spontaneous music making.  Just
the same thing everytime you heard it.  It might as well be classical
music."

I think  the Ray/Basie Band CD a much more musical project than
sampling little snatches of a jazz classic to lay into remix job with
electronic beats & scratches, or ugh, Kenny G and Louis (double ugh).

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org