[JPL] Ray/Basie Band

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Wed Oct 4 23:43:06 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/4/2006 9:24:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jwilke123 at comcast.net writes:
<<..

Also, I  had a friend who claimed jazz could never be recorded, because
once you  recorded it, it was "no longer spontaneous music making.  Just
the  same thing everytime you heard it.  It might as well be classical
music."

I think  the Ray/Basie Band CD a much more musical  project than
sampling little snatches of a jazz classic to lay into remix  job with
electronic beats & scratches, or ugh, Kenny G and Louis  (double ugh).

..>>

There are still people who hold the first belief (though I am not one of
them). I certainly agree with your second statement.

The Ray/Basie project is a technical achievement, no doubt. I guess the
community will remain somewhat divided on whether it should have been  attempted.

In fact, I am divided on it, myself.

Ed