[JPL] Guitar vs Piano

JanLeder at aol.com JanLeder at aol.com
Fri Oct 6 00:23:24 EDT 2006

Jae,

I haven't heard the Patitucci record you mentioned, but you bring up some
very interesting questions regarding instrumentation.  As you may know I'm  a
flutist and play a lot of duos, for which I hire both pianists and  guitarists.
I find it's much harder to find a guitar player who can play  solo well when
I lay out.  I've played with fine guitarists who are just  much better in an
ensemble than solo - and it always fascinates me when  guitarists can and do
improvise great spontaneous arrangements with only six  strings.  I find
pianists are more accustomed to playing solo and so there  are more pianists than
guitarists who I can call.

Either way, the most important thing is the swing - if that's not there it
doesn't matter what instrument you're playing!

Jan Leder
_www.janleder.info_ (http://www.janleder.info)

In a message dated 10/5/2006 5:39:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,