[JPL] Guitar / Piano/ B3

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Fri Oct 6 20:50:47 EDT 2006

Interesting that you think listeners prefer piano.

My take is that it depends on the demographic. Over 60 or long time jazzers
seem to prefer piano.  A lot of the 40 to 60 crowd coming to jazz now are
old time rock and rollers who practically worship the guitar and young
listeners who are new to jazz are more familiar with guitar than piano.
Anything by Pat Metheny gets interest and phones.  Charlie Hunter pulls in a
young crowd and is good for keeping my young demo up.  Eldar, while I love
his playing, is not pulling as much of a young demo as MM&W, or Charlie
Hunter.

I like both and it helps keep the variety alive and well on KJZZ.

There is a wonderful difference between the two in the voicings of altered
chords that can make playing horn or singing with a guitar very different,
so it depends what you are used to.  Habit and preference.  Whenever I work
with one or the other it takes a little getting used to, a minor adjustment
, when I make the switch from guitar to piano or visa/versa.

Now my question is how does the B3 go over in your markets?  Especially now
that we are swamped with B3 records, I'm feeling like KJB3 some days.  I
think I have four new B3 artists in play right now.  I find that the younger
audience digs this sound and some of the older cats, 40 to 60 demo, call to
say they don't dig it.  (Definitely not a Philly crowd here in the desert.)

It's such a distinctive sound and such a great groove, how often do you all
fit it in?

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix