[JPL] Ornette Coleman: Sound Grammar

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 00:37:15 EDT 2006

Over at Oraganissimo.org, Chicago jazz writer Larry Kart wrote of this
new recording:

"Anyone else notice that Ornette's solo on "Turnaround" begins with a
quote from "If I Loved You" from Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Carousel"
(as opposed, I guess, to somebody else's "Carousel")? It's the opening
phrase of the Rodgers' melody, the one that goes with the words "If I
loved you/Time and again I would try to say..." I stopped listening to
post this, but so far I'd say that Ornette sounds almost overcome by
joy (with a twinge of melancholy). His sound is caught nicely, too.
And the horn seems to be doing his bidding as much as or even more
than ever -- a lovely air of ease and fludity at age 76.

Kart wrote, "Speaking of that Ornette quote from "If I Loved You" at
the beginning of his "Turnaround" solo, I just checked out how
Hammerstein's lyric continues:

"If I loved you,
Time and again I would try to say
All I'd want you to know.
If I loved you,
Words wouldn't come in an easy way
Round in circles I'd go!"

"Round in circles I'd go" on "Turnaround" -- pretty neat if that's
part of what stirred the allusion into being in Ornette's mind. Also
IIRC (I don't have a version of "If I Loved You" at hand, so I can't
be sure), what's happening musically in the phrase "Round in circles I
go" bears a fairly intense, at once circular and somewhat off-center,
resemblance to what's happening musically in "All I'd want you to
know."