[JPL] KKJZ stays Jazz

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Mon Oct 9 08:29:44 EDT 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 12:35 AM, Jim Wilke wrote:

> Also, I wonder how many are the "few stations in the country
> focusing on classic jazz" ?  Mr. Butler makes it sound like it's
> only three or four.   Has anyone a count of stations that have jazz
> programming more than 50% of their weekly programming?

Right now, we have around 85 stations on the JazzWeek jazz panel.
All but a handful of those have 30 or more hours.  In addition, there
are some which are not part of the panel.  A quick guess would be
that around 50 or so might be the number.

It seems to me that one of two things is happening with all of the
stories from L.A. on this -- either all of the other writers keep
quoting the work of one writer who wrote something somewhat
misleading in the first place, or the station or college is feeding
them inaccurate information.

The other thing -- which was written in Don Heckman's article and
repeated by another L.A. Times writer -- is that most stations in the
country dropped "classic jazz" for smooth jazz.  Where they got that
impression or misinformation, I don't know.  There are a few non-
commercial smooth outlets, but most are commercial and did not evolve
from a mainstream jazz format.

I have written to a couple of writers and papers on this but have yet
to receive a response.

Ed