[JPL] Tower Records To Be Liquidated

tomthejazzman at earthlink.net tomthejazzman at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 9 18:28:32 EDT 2006

I remember years ago after attending on of the first Big Apple Jazz
Festivals later to be known as the JVC Jazz Festival in NYC going to a
Grand Opening at Midnight of TOWER RECORDS on the corner of 4th and
Broadway.  I was like a kid in a candy shop with that second floor Jazz
Room.  They had food and drinks flowing like the East River and I have
never seen so many young people with body art, colored hair and body
piercing.  This was probably over 25 years ago.  In NYC they have opened
additional stores and the one at 4th and Broadway has maintained that large
2nd floor Jazz Room; however, they have great competition from J&R Music
down on Park Row across from City Hall.  With J&R still around the Jazz
Community will continue to be well served and us tourist also when we visit
the city.

It is just another phase in the evolution of the music.  Sam Goody also had
a large presence at one time and other in addition to the old stand by
Colony Music near Time Square.

ALOHA  Tom