[JPL] NEA Jazz Masters Announced...NYTimes 10/9/06

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 10 16:49:08 EDT 2006

Oh, I could cut him a little slack.   I'll never forget that afternoon
many years ago when I walked into a club where he was booked to set up
for a live radio show that night, and there was this guy with his back
to me playing the most beautiful solo piano version of the aria from
the Villa-Lobos Bachianas Brasileiras No.5 - I sat and listened in the
empty dark club until he was done and was amazed to find it was Ramsey
Lewis -  all I knew of him was The In Crowd and Wade In the Water and I
was already tired of them then.

One of his recent CDs "Time Flies" has him still flogging those same
two hits, but there's also a beautiful theme from Brahms Symphony No.3,
some Bach, etc.     No, he doesn't belong in the same company as
previous winners, but he is capable of some beautiful piano work when
you get him away from his hits.

He also got some good general audience exposure for some deserving
people like Clark Terry, Phil Woods, Chick Corea, Benny Golson, Kurt
Elling, Dave Brubeck, Eddie Palmieri in his recent TV series.  I'm sure
some viewers who never are exposed to jazz got some idea what the
music's about through the players on this series.

Although none of this makes him a jazz piano master, perhaps the "jazz
advocacy" award would have been more appropriate.

Jim Wilke