[JPL] NEA Jazz Masters Announced...The "campaigning" thing

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Thu Oct 12 08:22:55 EDT 2006

Dana Gioia said to Larry Applebaum:

<<..Well, that is a general problem for everything the NEA does.  Because we
really make our decisions in terms of artistic excellence, and  there is no
one simple formula for what artistic excellence is. I mean,  the way we do
it, and I think it's the best way, is you get a relatively  diverse panel of
people who have dedicated their lives to an art, that are  living immersed in
the art. We usually put one lay person in there, just  to have some outside
sanity operating in there too. And people essentially  make those difficult
qualitative judgments. But when you look at a list of  the winners, you can
see that the level at which we're operating is really  quite Olympian..>>

I will forever be baffled (and miffed) that they did not honor William
Russo. He was nominated in the final year of his life. Had he won, his award  would
have been accepted posthumously, also, as he died on the very day that the
awards were given (or within a day on either side). That they do not honor such
 great accomplishments posthumously is, to my mind, an insult to his  legacy.

Ed