[JPL] Phil Woods: A 'soldier for jazz

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Mon Oct 16 10:30:34 EDT 2006

Attendees at yesterday afternoon's closing event of the Pittsfield CityJazz
Festival caught a glimpse of this giant, as he guest-appeared with the U.S.
Army  Jazz Ambassadors. He also provided a thrill-of-a-lifetime for 14-year-old
prodigy Grace Kelly, as they vamped on I'll Remember April.

There was such chemistry between the two that it was quite incredible and
heart-warming to watch, let alone hear. After her solo, Phil doffed his hat and
put it on her head. When I saw them at dinner afterwards, she was still
wearing  it.

A great memory, human and musical.

Ed