[JPL] Phil Woods: A soldier for jazz

Doug Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Tue Oct 17 02:39:36 EDT 2006

Steve:

I think you mean guitarist Harry Leahey and pianist Mike
Melillo.  Harry passed away some years ago and I believe Mike Melillo
relocated to Italy.  I seem to recall seeing listings for a couple of
Melillo dates for an Italian label, either Red or Soul Note but I
can't remember which.

Even though Phil has had nothing but incredible pianists come through
his bands (Galper/McNeely/Charlap/others?), I've always found the
recordings with Mike Melillo very special.  His touch and especially
his sound are very unique.  It's simultaneously light and strong
reminding me for some reason of cherries.  One can really hear the
"wood" of the piano.  And to reference the guitar/piano debate of a
couple of weeks ago, I'd say that Melillo's comping style and choice
of voicings might be more similar to what one might hear from a
guitarist as opposed to a pianist.

One of my favorite Phil Woods' albums is a very obscure release on
RCA/Gryphon from 1976 simply entitled "The New Phil Woods Album".  It
was listed in RCA's catalog for no more than two years (if that long)
and to my knowledge has never been re-issued on CD.  I bought my copy
of this LP within days of hearing it on Harry Abraham's "The Best of
All Possible Worlds" on WHAM Rochester via my vintage 1938 RCA Victor
table radio.  Tables must have been bigger back then...

One morning in late 1977 I turned on my FM radio to a rock station
when, lo and behold, I heard the unmistakable alto sax of Phil Woods
playing a pretty nice solo.  My immediate reaction was has the world
as I knew it ended?  Rock stations playing Phil Woods?  Well before I
had much of a chance to ponder those questions, Phil's solo was
over.  The song was of course Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are"
which I was hearing for the very first (and certainly not the last) time.

If you're looking for some good late 1950's Phil Woods, don't
overlook Michel Legrand's "Legrand Jazz".

Doug Crane
dcrane at comcast.net
KUVO Denver 89.3 FM
Wednesdays 7-9 PM MDT