[JPL] Re; Riley's Monk Legacy band.

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Tue Oct 17 17:01:17 EDT 2006

Jae wrote <<< I'm curious to know what folk think of Ben Riley's Monk Legacy
band.....using guitar instead of piano....playing Monk's music? Of course
it's been done before with his music and in most cases for these ears there
is an uncomfortable emptyness.  >>>>>

Not being able to get an opinion from the man himself, I base the following
on instinct and what I know about Thelonious through reading about him,
hearing others who knew him comment and through my conversations with T S. I
would have to opine that Monk would not want to be typecast as only
composing music for piano, I honestly believe he would like his music being
interpreted in as many formats and styles as possible. I am also confidant
Monk would like Ft. Apache's Latin take on his music as well as the myriads
of covers of his compositions, providing the musicianship was of a high
caliber.

This reminds me of Tito Puente and Carlos Santana, circa 1971 Santana
recorded a Latin rock version of Tito's early 60s Oyé Como Va which went
nowhere on the radio nor did he play it much in concerts because Tito didn't
particular like the song. Years later when Tito received his first royalty
check in the mail after Carlos remade it, all of a sudden it became Tito's
favorite song and he would always play it in performance thereafter.
Naturally this is a different scenario especially since there won't be big
bucks involved as with Oyé Como Va. By the way Tito based Oyé Como Va on
Israel López Cachao's Chanchullo which the Tito band recorded a year before
they recorded Oyé Como Va, Chanchullo goes back to the 1940s.

Arturo