[JPL] I can just imagine asking Mr. Weston to "audition" for us.

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 00:08:05 EDT 2006

Yes,

All music should be made to go with our wine and cheese diners with
friends. Too bad this jazz aficiando couldn't help his friends
understand Randy Weston's life long mission to present African Rhythms
through jazz, or demonstrate Weston's stylistic affinities with Duke
Ellington and Thelonious Monk, or talk about how Weston's appearance
with Monk's drummer Ben Riley gave the concert a deep historical
resonance. Much easier to say, "Oh, free, I don't get it" and talk
through the set.

This comment inspired another spin of "Blue Moses" from Zep Tepi. Long
may Weston present his poems to Africa. Will never forget hearing him
live with Blakey, Dizzy and Johnny Griffin in the same band.

LV