[JPL] I can just imagine asking Mr. Weston to "audition" for us.

Eric Hines EHines at message.nmc.edu
Wed Oct 18 11:33:23 EDT 2006

Yes,

All music should be made to go with our wine and cheese diners with
friends. Too bad this jazz aficiando couldn't help his friends
understand Randy Weston's life long mission to present African Rhythms
through jazz, or demonstrate Weston's stylistic affinities with Duke
Ellington and Thelonious Monk, or talk about how Weston's appearance
with Monk's drummer Ben Riley gave the concert a deep historical
resonance.

And then I'll bum rush the stage and do a reading of Latin love poetry,
in the original. Without forgetting, of course, to remind everyone how
historically important all the poems are, and delineate the crucial
influence of Sappho on Catullus. They'll love it!

--eric

Eric Hines
General Manager
WNMC 90.7 FM