[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show Oct 16

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 02:41:07 EDT 2006

Still Another Jazz Show  Oct 16

MENTAL STRAIN AT DAWN   “Black And Blue”  A MODERN
PORTRAIT OF LOUIS ARMSTRONG           Random Chance
Records

RAY SINGS/BASIE SWINGS    “How Long Has This Been
Going On”   RAY CHARLES AND THE COUNT BASIE ORCHESTRA
     Concord Records

INTRODUCING ROBIN McKELLE   “You Brought A New Kind Of
Love” “Deep In A Dream”   Cheap Lullaby Records

THE TAYLOR/FIDYK BIG BAND    “Maiden Voyage”    LIVE
AT THE BLUES ALLEY    OA2 Records

MICHAEL WOLFF     “Tell Me”  “Hostage O”  “Everybody's
Got To Learn Sometime”    LOVE AND DESTRUCTION
Ewrong Records

ELIN   “Lazy Afternoon”   LAZY AFTERNOON       Blue
Toucan Music

SHERMAN IRBY       “Leap Of Faith”    ORGANOMICS
 Black Warrior Records

MITCHEL  FORMAN     “Dolphin Dance”     PERSPECTIVES
 Marsis Records

JAVON JACKSON   “In The Sticks”  “Love Calls”     NOW
Palmetto Records

DON BYRON      “Cleo's Mood”      “Do The Boomerang”
 DO THE BOOMERANG   MUSIC OF JUNIOR WALKER      Blue
Note

THE CHRISTIAN JACOB TRIO    “Looking Up” “Even Mice
Dance”  CONTRADICTIONS           Wilder Jazz

KAT PARRA   “These Old Feelings”    BIRDS IN FLIGHT
  JazzMa Records

THE ROGER KELLAWAY TRIO      “Hymn To Freedom”  HEROES

IPO Records

David Murray, Doc Cheatham and begin SAJS with a great
different almost avant gard version  of “Black And
Blue” by Fats Waller from the new MENTAL STRAIN AT
DAWN CD with Allen Lowe and the Jack Purvis Orchestra,
live at the Knitting Factory. Doc Cheatham knew
Armstrong from his early days in Chicago. He was
eighty seven at the time of this 1992 recording at The
Knitting Factory in NYC.
On one side there's the traditionalist Doc Cheatham
and from Berkley,  the experimental provacateur David
Murray and it all works in the moment this time for
its stark unique challenges.  This is a borst fest
meshing of different periods all flug together and
tasting as  good  as peanut butter and Jelly Roll
Morton. We had to play Fats Waller's this perfidious
“Black And Blue,” with almost a Berlioz opening then
that loosey Armstrong refrain done by Doc Cheatham in
that 'Oh so sweet honey bee' buzzin round .
What a pleasure hearing Cheatham playing his horn in
this context with the superb modernist David Murray.
Murra also performs some sassy exchanges with tenor
player Loren Schoenberg.
Since we're in a holding pattern between the dualities
 jazz realities of 20th Century, lets imagine a post
modern view of Ray Charles and let's say the Count
Basie Orchestra in an alterrnate universe of jazzy
nostalgia. If only....Wait a minute, the realities are
all in on stage in  the center your mind . Mixing Ray
Charles past vocals  with exellent mosdern
arrangements. We played “How Long Has This Been Going
On” with a magnifient and raging arrangement by Shelly
Berg.  The halogram version will most certainly
provide even more variations .  Soft drinks and a
variety of new colas will be served in the private
suites and secret meeting places in your cortex as RAY
SINGS /BASIE SWINGS a winning concept that never
happened only this one time .
Since all our respective 'noses have been opened' and
all eyes wide shut, we move onto another post modern
forties big swing band commonalities and in order to
do so, we'd like INTRODUCING ROBIN McKELLE to you and
yours and all of yous just as sure as you live!  This
young lady will take you back to those great swinging
big band standards. Remember BillyMay!  This is that
kind of bash, all the swagger, pistache and jitter
bug. Hearts and flowers should go out to  the great
arrangements by Willie Murillo.
Robin McKelle sounds  a combination of  Keely Smith
and June Christy, same timber and when she swings, she
sings.  We played “You Brought A New Kind” with
McKelle singing duet with Robbie Wycoff.   This'll
take you to when romance was romantic when dancing was
close, when  a fox trot was a hot'n tot.  Then we
sequed into “Deep In A Dream.” Remember when the band
would begin with ahjn extended intro and the female
vocalist was sitting  next to the guitar player and
after a few bars she stands and walks up to that big
stainless steel microphone. By this time everyone's
dancing to the Palladium ball of light glistening over
the crowd and she begins to sing. Robin McKelle  is
fantastic. This is one of the most interesting CD's of
the year!
THE TAYLOR /FIDYK BIG BAND concludes this segment from
the LIVE AT THE BLUES ALLEY cd with Herbie Hancock's
“Maiden Voyage.” Tromboinst Jim McFalls is warblely,
irridescent and warm with his solo on this piece.
MICHAEL WOLFF begins the second  segment of SAJS with
his new CD LOVE  AND DESTRUCTION.  This is the first
I've heard of Wolff singing and it's rather
intriguing. We played “Tell Me,” “Hostage O,” and
“Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime.” His music is
contemporary atmospheric and funky a twist of Michael
Franks and Les McAnn. On some of the tunes his  lyrics
are a mantra with meaning derived from the  with
progressive modalities. Wolff sings Leonard Cohen,
“Hallelujah,” Donovan Phillips , “Mellow Yellow” and
Warren Zevon's “Hostage O.”
One of the interesting ones is Wolff does with Lee
Dorsey's “Ya Ya.”   The band consists of Sacramentan
Mike Clark on drums, Badal Roy, tablas, John Williams
bas and Rich Goods electric bass and Wolff on piano,
Rhodes and  Hammond B-3. In the case of the pop
classic “Stop In The Name Of Love” by Holland , Dozier
and Holland, Michael Wolff's approach is very
different. As Jagger's “Miss You” will attest to a
sultry and slow, short soft smokiness that only jazz
can produce that unforgettable fragrance.  The new
Michael Wolff will open your nose. Listen to the hip
'Mellow Yellow” and know for sure.
ELIN is next with  her new CD LAZY AFTERNOON. This
young Dutch born singer is turning eyes and ears in
NYC with her charm and talent. She sings the title
song here with Claudiio Roditi accampaniment is very
sexy.  Elin has a smooth  vitality in her voice. The
arrangements are superb with an earthiness on the
bossa  cuts, “Aquarela do Brazil.” An arrangement
featuring Anat Cohen on clarinet makes this a wistful
sultry song.  Then a more disonent  and
introspective“Vera Cruz.”  This lady has a majesty
about her that has that phrasing that Astrud would
incur. Elinh has a sweet innocence and yet a complex
diametric, a sophisticated  balance 9n her vocals on
this new CD.
SHERMAN IRBY closes this segment with  a slowe sultery
version on an Irby oruginalk “Leap Of Faith”  from his
latest, ORGANOMICS CD..  Irby has this boig bri4ght
warm souned on alto sasxphone thats readily on display
here with some nice rhythm guitar work by Saul Rubin
and Willie Jones III on drums.
Keyboardist MITCHEL FORMAN begins the second hour of
SAJS with his new cd, PERSPECTIVES.   We played
Herbie Hancock's “Dolphin Dance.”  Forman has an
extraordinary multi faceted appeal here as he performs
on piano, sequencing, guitar, snare drums. His sound
here is so like “Weather Report.” He's  versatile,
prolific and  has a contemporary center where it
revolves around the aegis of music. Forman has a nicwe
sense of time and touch that all good musicianshave,
sort of a Larry Goldings command in his
instrumentation. Forman really lays it out on an
absolutely lethel version of “First Trip.” As the
laugh indicates at the conclusion of this song, it's
all about just having a little fun especially when you
know your axe as well as Michel Foreman.
JAVON JACKSON is next with a nice funky take on “In
The Sticks” from his newest NOW. This'll take you back
to those bad ole funky days with Grtant Green and
company when brother Jack would lay it out nice and
smooth and assorted saxophone greats such as Willis
“Gator” Jackson settling in the funk. This Cd has lots
of goodies and surprises with Kenny Garrett's “Chief
Blackwater”  and guitarist Dave Gilmore stepping it up
a notch. We also played “Lover Calls” with singer Lisa
Fischer gracing the air waves with her distinctive and
smooth self same. This lady is a true  charmer with
that Chaka Khan/ Angela Boffil chemistry. It's as
though she's whispering in your ear, the kind that
curls the hairs on your back .  Dr Lonnie Smith sits
in on the Hammond B-3, and you know when  he's
involved you're in for an all encompassing cup a
coffee and kahlua trip.
Whew! That's  too good  to handle but we'll try and
conclude this segment with DON BYRON and his new cd,
DO THE BOOMERANG, THE MUSIC OF JUNIOR WALKER.  Don
Byron plays tenor saxophone extensively here. The
first I've heard perform on this instrument.   We know
him for his proficiency on clarinet and bass clarinet.
This is a retrospective of a down home Memphis R&B
style cookin Junior Walker, who took his band from
Battle Creek down the I -94 to Motown. You remember
“Shotgun”  with Junior wailing...down and nice. Since
the lead singer didn't show for the gig, Juniior hated
his voice but Barry Gordy like it and released it
accordingly. It of course was a smash hit, setting
Junior Walker on the road to hitsville.
We especially enjoy “There It Is” with the vast
interplay of the tenoir and trombone extending this
R&B to the ultimate degree. Remember James Brown's
cookin band?
It was almost as jazzed up as post R&B could or should
be.  In effect James Brown was heads above everybody.
 As you hear with this new Byron R&B.  And if you're a
dancin fool you'll be right in there shakin your bird,
flappin your wings. Dean Bowman is depth defying on
vocals. Former Pink Floyd David Gilmour lays out some
licks in “Satans Blues.” This band is so locked into
The All Stars, you immediately get onboardand  ride
the train. You'll hear stuff here only reserved for
the deep dark blues caverns of your mind.
THE CHRISTIAN JACOB TRIO begins the last segment with
the new CONTRADICTIONS  A LOOK AT THE MUSIC OF MICHEL
PETRUCCIANI.
Petrucciani has that rare ability to stimulate your
endorphins with his remarkable up bright life
progresive jazz excursions. We played “Looking Up” and
the waltz like “Even Mice Dance.” There's a little
Brubeck here as in “Katny's Waltz.” Christian Jacobs
runs are illuminating, nostalgic and  heart felt.
There's something very good about this CD not just
because it's the wonderful music of Michel Petrucciani
as the exceptional performance of Christian Jacobs and
his trio as well.
KAT PARRA sings the title tune from her new BIRDS IN
FLIGHT cd. A lovely song written from personal
experience, Kat Parra has lived an interesting bi
cultural life in a  Spanish and English ways and
means, the ability to see both sides and  it's borne
in her music It's what every artist strives for... Her
maturation is evident in this new CD. It's what we
attain that makes us whole.  Some of us never do and
never will. There has to be a hunger.  There are
levels of endurance. Each of us reaches our level of
personal benevolence. That's why this music is so
integral to our existence.
 THE ROGER KELLAWAY TRIO closes this session of SAJS
with an inspiring version of the great Oscar
Peterson's  “Hymn To Freedom” from his new HEROES CD.

Kellaway's a veteran player as far back as the sixties
when he appeared on Oliver Nelson's  MORE BLUES AND
THE ABSTRACT TRUTH. Oscar Petterson says Kellaway is
his favorite piano player. The trio  a classic with
Bruce Forman on guitar and Dan Lutz on bass. It's the
grand old style and too good pass u as it is here with
tradition, post modern classicism and orangi repor.
Bye for now.

Dick Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW
MONDAYS 10AM &10PM, PACIFIC
“The Voice” 88.7fm
4623 T Street, Suite A
Sacramento, Ca 95819-4743
Audio streaming: Click Access Sacramento in your
browser.