[JPL] Ornette, Tone Center, Stanley Clarke

Linda Yohn lyohn at emich.edu
Sat Oct 28 09:23:06 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm beginning to get caught up with reviewing new music after our fund
drive.  When you see the list I post next Monday, you'll know see what
I mean.

Even so, with all of the music I've heard and programmed this week,
I'm quite curious about the three releases discussed on the list
Friday.

Like Mitchell, I could use contacts for the new Ornette Coleman CD and
Tone Center.

I'm also curious about the Stanley Clarke CD.  He's admired by many
listeners and I'd like to give them a chance to hear the disc.

If you have those contacts, you can e-mail me off list if you like.
Thanks.

A disc that I thoroughly enjoyed reviewing was by The Todd Marcus
Orchestra.  What magnificent arrangements!  If that one is still in
your pile of stuff to listen to, pick it out.  You won't be
disappointed.  Not every song is good for every daypart, but it is a
real good one for cleaning out your own ears so you can go back to
listening to the adnauseum bebop change quartets/quintets, the similar
sounding piano trio sessions and the barrage of cute but cookie-cutter
singers.

I was also surprised by the Brain Trainor and Friends CD.  Jon
Lucien's "Feeling Good" gets the point across and them some!

Keep swinging,

Linda

Linda Yohn
WEMU Music Director