[JPL] Album Foozle

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 16:13:29 EDT 2006

I just had to share this story.....it reminded me of a thread we had a few years back about library space but this one is unbelievable......

  For years our music library contained both the classical, jazz and folk music recordings. Several years ago I weeded out a few thousand albums and CD's that either we would never play or had been re-issued on CD to make more room for new releases. Eventually we moved all the CD's out into my office space and left the remaining jazz albums in the library. A week ago they decided to do the same for the classical albums......clear out the ones they don't want to make more space. There are several thousand jazz albums that are still in the library.....at least 10,000.

  I was told about this and I sent emails out reminding folk not to touch the jazz LP's. They had students and volunteers come in to do the work. Last Sunday...during our fundraiser I might add.....I came in to do my show. I had planned to play about 10 albums on that show. I walked into the library and every single jazz album in the library......GONE. I can't remember how long I looked at those shelves wondering if I had walked into a parallel universe.

  To make a longer story short.....I found out later that afternoon that the albums were in the dumbsters behind the building. THOUSANDS of jazz classics in the garbage! The garbage trucks come first thing Monday morning to empty them. To say I was shocked would be the understatement. Without question the most stupid thing I have ever seen in my life. I was on the phone to management and shortly after the person responsible for this was out back with their buddies in the dumpsters bringing back in those albums on that Sunday afternoon. There are stories of some walking away with several unfortunately and we won't know which ones until we get them back in order. That individual is no longer employed at the station.

  Jae Sinnett