[JPL] My worse fear....

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Mon Oct 30 15:38:59 EST 2006

As a lifelong record collector I have amassed over 20,000 recordings, I have
tons of 45s as well as LPs, 10", EPs and a formidable 78rpm collection, heck
I still have the records I purchased as a teen in the 60s. My proudest
series are my James Brown 45s, I used to buy the latest J B single every
month for several years back when 45s cost .49cents.  The past 10 years has
seen my CDs library grow as well. Anyhoodle, my greatest fear is that I
should lose my record collection in a fire or in a burglary, I use Cds at
the station but at home I rarely play CDs, I play vinyl as I enjoy the
warmth of a good quality pressing on my tube system more.

If I should ever experience what Jae was witness to, I would surely lose it
and whomever dumped the records would regret the day, I get angry when I see
other folks mistreat wax and I am always educating folks on the virtues of
vinyl. We don't know how long Cds will lasts, many have already reported
that the first wave of CDs from the mid-80s go black as the sealant of data
on the plastic dissipates and vanishes forever. I have 78s from the 1920s
that still play quite well, in fact 78s played on a appropriate phonograph
with the proper stylus sound very good because of the speed involved, I know
folks who have wax cylinders that still play. We have no guarantee that 10
or 15 years from know a CD will still play. Moreover there are recordings
from the pre-Cd era that will never be seen on CDs. The manufactures of CDs,
the players and the recording labels all sold the public an exaggerated CD
durability image when in reality they wanted CD to take over because they
cost less to produce and could be sold for more. They also sabotaged the LPs
by releasing inferior pressings to make them sound bad encouraging folks to
switch over, then they took away the consumer's options by not making
available all albums on vinyl, then they would quote dropping sales as an
excuse to eliminate them entirely.

Throughout the country and the world, specialty shops who carry new and used
vinyl still exist and there is an increased interest in records by younger
folks.

Arturo