[JPL] Re: What is the highlight of your record collection?

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Tue Oct 31 15:28:15 EST 2006

Because I collect music from various genres I have several "highlights" and
most prized recordings, some of them are original 1940s Cuban pressings of
78rpm,  1950s and '60s LPs on Cuban pressings I inherited from my uncle a
life long collector. When it comes to jazz my jewel is an original 1948 10"
Blue Note LP, James Moody and the Modernaires in stone -mint condition. The
sidemen were like Moody-Dizzy big band members including Chano Pozo in his
last recording, made  just 2-3 weeks before he was shot dead over a $10 bag
of cannibas in a Harlem bar. To top it off, several years ago Moody
autographed and dedicated the record to me in his inimitable style
commenting he has seen few copies of the LP which has remained out-of-print
and in its original release had the minimum amount of pressings made.

I highly prize my Cuban press LP of the early 60s by Chucho Valdés Combo
that Paquito D'Rivera debuted on wax as an 18year old. I also have the
follow up LP with the obscure Cuban jazz scat singer "El Guapachá" in his
only recording as he died just a few months after the recording was
realized.

I value my first press Blue Note LP by Sabu Martínez and Arsenio Rodríguez
from 1957, the LP that was pulled from the market 6 weeks after its release
because it was a Cuban folklore rumba roots album and not jazz. A few years
ago Palo Congo was re-issued on CD. It was considered  one of the most
sought out if not the most sought Blue Note LP by collectors. I also have an
Arsenio Rodríguez-Chano Pozo LP on NY's famed Spanish Music Center/SMC-Coda
label that was recorded upon the arrival of Chano to NY to showcase his
talents, it coincided with the legendary Cuban "Godfather of Salsa"-Arsenio
Rodríguez aka "The Marvelous Blind One" who was in NYC seeking a operation
to possibly restore his vision. The back up band was the Machito Orchestra
under the direction of Mario Bauzá. These recordings are now on a Spanish
import CD, "Legendary Sessions" on the Tumbao label.

Finally I have some very rare original RnB 45s from the 50s as well as
material by James Brown and others on 45s not yet issued on LP or CD as well
as some obscure 70s funk and spoken words LPs. Visitors to my home are
always taken aback by the sight of record cabinets and book shelves
throughout the dwelling.

Arturo