[JPL] Re: What is the highlight of your record collection? - A horror story in itself - make that Max ROACH

MFA - Jazz Publicity & Radio Promotion MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 18:23:36 EST 2006

Pardon the typo in paragraph 2 -- obviously I meant Max Roach!
[JPL] Re: What is the highlight of your record collection? - A horror
story in itself

MFA - Jazz Publicity & Radio Promotion MitchellFeldmanAssociates at
Comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 18:16:39 EST 2006
of your record collection?
Hi Group -

I have had some lean years and twice thinned out my collection of
vinyl, getting rid of items today, in hindsight, I wish I had retained.

A prime example and something that would definitely rank as a
highlight of any collection was an Atlantic LP with Max Road called ,
if I recall correctly, "Introducing The Legendary Hahsaan" (not sure
if its spelled correctly.  I found this in a used record store in
Manhattan and it had one of those small address stickers that come
for free in the mail with the name "Marion Brown" and his address on
the Bowery.

I have 3 limited edition and numbered highlights that were the
victims of a true horror story:

1) Thanks to Terri Hinte formerly of Fantasy 12-disc vinyl collection
of the complete Miles Davis on Prestige autographed "To Mitchell --
Thank You - Miles Davis" with a few 8th and 16th note clusters he
used as punctuation.

2) Thanks to Ricky Schultz a 6-disc vinyl collection of the complete
Bird Dial sessions with each jacket designed by a different artist.
I got Romare Bearden's and Larry Rivers' to autograph their covers.
[Side note to this -- a few years ago I came across the original
artwork to these covers exhibited at Christies on Park Ave. in
Manhattan before they were sold at auction in their Contemporary Art
sales of whatever year that was.  Without naming names a senior WEA
executive who was probably the one to commission them and, I guess,
had kept them was putting them up for sale.  I always wondered what
the Time Warner shareholders would have thought if they knew that
their company had not only paid for the original work but that they
no longer had them in their offices and they were being sold by a
former employee!]

3) Also I think thanks to Ricky an 8-disc set of Keith Jarrett's Sun
Bear Concerts on ECM.  Got KJ to autograph it.

Anyway, none of these are playable as a wacko woman I was involved
with in the early 1990s went berserk one night when I left her alone
in my apartment after a fight.  I didn't find out for several years
after we broke up that among the damage she did was to go through
EVERY ONE OF THE DISCS MENTIONED ABOVE and do little squiggly designs
on the vinyl with a paper clip.  These are not LPs one would play
regularly so I didn't discover this until one day Bob Dorough was
over at my pad in NYC to be interviewed for the liner notes to his
first Blue Note CD I was writing and we were talking about "Yardbird
Suite" and I said "let's listen to the Dial version."  I put the LP
on my turntable (Linn) and it skipped.  I was a bit puzzled as I
treat my LPs like Brad, Bobby and I am sure others do -- as precious
children.  I picked up the tone arm and looked at the LP and saw
these lines gouged into the vinyl!  I went through the entire Bird
Box and found each side of every LP had been so disfigured.  It
wasn't until later that night that I discovered the damage done to
the Jarrett and Miles boxes.  I woke up with a start in the middle of
the night and a chill ran through me as I though "My God, what else
did she destroy!?!"  I immediately went to the Miles and Jarrett
boxes and found that both sides of EVERY LP in those collections had
also been gouged.  But that was -- thank goodness -- the extent,
albeit abominable -- of the damage.  Of the thousands of LPs I had at
the time this crazy woman had clearly figured out which were the most
valuable and rendered them unplayable (and almost worthless).

Weird thing is we got back together after that fight - my being
ignorant of the damage done to these recordings (the other vandalism
was minor in comparison).  I can honestly say that had I discovered
what had been done to them at the time I would have been hard pressed
not to KILL her!

Mitchell
[JPL] Re: What is the highlight of your record collection?

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Tue Oct 31 15:28:15 EST 2006