[JPL] Re: Chano Pozo's demise story & bio

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 31 23:59:09 EST 2006

Peeps,

I've enjoyed reading your stories about the highlights of your record
collections.  Although I can't point to recordings I love the most or am
most proud of, the aspect I treasure the most about my collection are the
interviews that I've conducted over my years in radio, especially people who
are no longer with us such as Mario Bauza, Dizzy Gillespie, Steve Allen,
Grover Washington Jr., Leon Thomas, Noel Pointer, Tito Puente, Ray Barretto,
Betty Carter, Tony Williams, Jaki Byard, Lionel Hampton, Sun Ra, Jay
McShann, Alan Lomax, Willis Conover, Leonard Feather, Sid Feller etc.

I also cherish the interviews with living legends such as Harry Belafonte,
Albert Murray, Clifford Brown Jr., Eartha Kitt, Ellis, Branford, Wynton, Max
Roach, Abbey Lincoln, Nancy Wilson, Ramsey Lewis (yes, him too), Dr. Donald
Byrd, Lenny White, Randy Weston, Chaka Khan, Bobbi Humphrey, Pat Metheny,
Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Al Dimeola, Joe Zawinul, Maynard
Ferguson, Stanley Clarke, McCoy Tyner, Jerry and Andy Gonzalez, Dorthaan
Kirk, Toshiko Akiyoshi, George Wein, Regina Carter, Freddy Cole, Dick
LaPalm, Jimmy Scott, etc. etc. etc.  They are documents of history that I am
proud to have been a part of and continue to create.  They are documents
that many listeners have shared with me personal stories about how it's
shaped their own intellect and insights not only about this music but about
life itself.  I continue to hear from people who listened to me during my
tenure in Atlanta and of course, here in Cleveland, OH.  Those moments for
me are priceless as I've sought to get underneath the underbelly of the
music revealing insights of many classic moments captured on records that
you'll never hear about on many recordings. There is so much "life" in this
music.

Last but not least, having archived moments with so many of you on this list
on tape and CD over the years from Arturo, Jae, Bubba Jackson, Gary Walker,
Tomas Algarin, Carl Anthony, Mark Ruffin, Chuy Varela, Eric Jackson,  and so
many others I've had the pleasure to introduce to the audience here in metro
Cleveland.  Sharing your expertise with them has been a greater joy than
listening to the music itself because the music is so much more than the
songs we listen to.  It's about the music but the music is not totally what
this is about.  It's about how the music has been able to connect us as
people and as a culture.  That is where the magic is for me as a music fan
and as a programmer.  I constantly listen to these interviews and they help
to keep me sharp in my on-air presentations.  Doing something you love to do
and getting paid for it is a beautiful thing.  There is no greater gift in
my opinion.  I'm richer than most and I know it.  I am very grateful.

Aloha,

Bobby