[JPL] Link To Awesome You Tube Video

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 5 00:53:09 EDT 2006

Joe,

Kids pick these things up very quickly and they're born performers,
it's later we learn stage fright.  I think 500 times is  an
overestimate - this was no professional lipsyncer like milli vanilli!
Both my sons who are now adults did the same thing with no
encouragement and most parents will tell you the same if they have
music in the home.  Kids will sing along or pretend to play "air
guitar" or drums or ...

My son Barrett played tennis racquet guitar in his basement pretend
rock group and started violin as a Suzuki student.  With no
encouragement he'd go around the neighborhood announcing a concert at 4
pm at which time he'd step out on the front porch to play "Twinkle
twinkle" on his violin for anyone who showed up, took his bows and
everything. He later played percussion in the Seattle Youth Symphony
and drums in the Roosevelt High Jazz Band. As an adult he's now touring
and recording as the drummer with the group Kinski on the SubPop label.
   http://www.kinski.net/bio.html    He's a surprising well balanced and
likeable man.  The same kind of story is true of his older bass-playing
brother Chris, who as a child would sing along with anything I gave him
on record.  After he chose string bass as his instrument in 3rd grade
he studied and played classical and jazz bass through college, and has
also dabbled in afro-pop, folk music and bluegrass as occasions arose.

I don't think any participatory musical activity of any sort should be
discouraged at any age. Even if most kids who are involved in music
don't become professional performers, they become a much better
informed listening audience and we need that, too!

Jim