[JPL] "Computers are Useless" - follow-up to Bob's response

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Wed Sep 6 20:55:48 EDT 2006

Bob,

.... and thank you for your well-reasoned follow-up!  It's great to have these "friendly arguments" and to see intelligent discussions on jazz radio programming on the JPL, which is what it was designed for - thanks to Ed for keeping this going all these years!

I am including recent (this week) playlists from two of my senior jocks (community folks who have been with the station for years, one an alumna of KSJS and SJSU - whom I mentioned in my original post).  I hope that you agree that they are doing very creative shows, each with its own flavor, while incorporating heavy and medium rotation albums and features.  As we like to say at KSJS, this ain't your father's jazz radio!

I'm looking forward to seeing you, and hangin', in NY in January at the IAJE as well!

Cheers, and Aloha!

Brad

Dr. Brad Stone
Music Director (Jazz, Blues, World Music)
and Faculty Advisor
KSJS-FM
1 Washington Square
San Jose State University
San Jose, CA   95192-0094
www.ksjs.org

Home Office:
9381 Durango Lane
Gilroy, CA   95020
Music Calls: Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., PT
(408) 848-6266
bstone at science.sjsu.edu

Karen "The JazzCat" Gentile  9/6/06  10AM - 2PM

  ARTIST/SONG/ALBUM

  10 AM
Either/Orchestra/Baby Invents Monk/Neo-Modernism
John McLaughlin/For Jaco/Industrial Zen
Skerik's Syncopated Taint Septet/Summer Pudding/Husky
Big Time Sarah/Train I Ride/South Side Chicago Blues
East River Blues Band/Hasta La Vista/High Tide
Ernest Dawkins' New Horizons Ensemble/The Brood/The Messenger
Anton Schwartz/Hooking Up/Radiant Blue
Old and New Dreams/Dewey's Tune/A Tribute to Blackwell
Brad Mehldau Trio/Fear & Trembling/House on Hill

  11 AM
Dewey & Joshua Redman/Venus & Mars/African Venus
Sean Jones/I Need Thee/Roots
Carnival Skin/Carnival Skin/Carnival Skin
Guitar Shorty/Sonic Boom/We the People
Dave Holland Quintet/Full Circle/Critical Mass
Mike Stern/All You Need/Who Let the Cats Out?
BB King/Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens/Let the Good Times Roll
Kenny Garrett/May Peace Be Upon Them/Beyond the Wall

  12 Noon
Rick Wald/Mixed Clouds & Sun/Castaneda's Dreams
Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood/Tequila & Chocolate/Out Louder
Toumani Diabete's Symmetric Orchestra/Single/Boulevard De L'independence
Dewey Redman/Kleerwine/In London
Patricia Barber/Narcissus/Mythologies
Billy Hart/Confirmation/Quartet
DJ Day/Four Hills/Juke Joint II-Boozoo Bajou
Dave Stryker/Close to You/The Chaser

  1 PM
Dewey Redman Quartet/As One/Living on the Edge
Kat Parra/These Old Feelings/Birds in Flight
Eric Swinderman/The Bandit/Pursuit of the Sound
+ Charlie Haden/We Shall Overcome/Liberation Music Orchestra
Panoramic/Ivory Coast/Panoramic
Robert Dick & Ursel Schlicht/Emergence/Photosphere
Gil Goldstein/Three Women/Under Rousseau's Moon
+ Keith Jarrett/Mushi Mushi/Silence
Novalima/Alcajazz/Afro
Ted Nash & Still Evolved/In the Loop/In the Loop

Kevin Foley Ariente
Unconscious Desires
6-10pm

6pm

Novalima--Toromata--Afro
Sean Jones--Roots--Roots
East River Blues Band--Independent Woman--High Tide
Rachid Taha--Ya Rayah--Cairo to Casablanca
Transglobal Underground--Khalgi Stomp--Versions/Thievery Corp.
Panoramic--Nikkara--RU4868
Mike Stern--Who Let the Cats Out?--Who Let the Cats Out?
Nouvelle Vogue--Shack Up--Bande A Part
Brian Owen--Last Mountain--Unwei

7pm

Urbs--The Chaffeur--Toujour Le Meme Film
John McLaughlin--For Jaco--Industrial Zen
The Fremonts--Mighty Crazy--Mighty Crazy
Airto--Samba de Flora--Big Noise
Chicago Afrobeat Project--Zambi--Chicago Afrobeat Project
Toumani Diabate--Africa Challenge--Boulevard de L'independence
Kenny Garrett--Beyond the Wall--Beyond the Wall
Quantic--Politick Society--An Announcement to Answer
Dave Stryker--Katmandu--The Chaser

8pm

Radio Citizen--Nightingale--Berlin Serengeti
Kat Parra--Mas Que Nada--Birds in Flight
Mitch Kashmar--Funky Dee--Wake Up and Worry
Les Claypool--Rumble of the Diesel--Of Whales and Woe
Sly and Robbie--Demolition City--Dubmission 2
Dennis Bovell--Rowing--Juke Joint II
Ray Barretto--Brandy's Blues--Standards Rican-ditioned
Gil Goldstein--Boplicity/Some Skunk Funk--Under Rousseau's Moon
Anton Schwartz--Blues For Now--Radiant Blue

9pm

Masters of Groove--Mon Amore--Masters of Groove Meet DJ9
Medeski, Martin and Wood--What Now--Out Louder
Alvin Jett+Phat Noiz Blues Band--Boogie to the Blues--Milk+Cookies
Kraak+Smaak--No Sun in the Sky--Boogie Angst
Roots Tonic--JD3--Meets Bill Laswell
Emma Shapplin--The Inferno--Galactic Caravan
Sherik Syncopated Taint Septet--Summer Pudding--Husky
Ted Nash--Durning's Dance--In the Loop
Billy Hart--Irah--Quartet