[JPL] RE: Jazz singer Bridgewater treks from Memphis to Mali

Info at Radio Jazz+ info at radiojazzplus.com
Fri Sep 8 11:13:55 EDT 2006

I just did not believe what I was hearing on Radio Nova, a Parisian radio
station. It was a live jam session between an American singer and a Malian
on African bass. It was one of those magical moments that cannot be
described in words. This was in the early '90s, but I remember it as if it
was yesterday.

After a few telephone calls, I was surprised to hear that the singer was
white. She actually sounds a bit like Janis Joplin (but with a more
African-American tone of voice).

Her name is Janice deRosa and the Malian musician who happened to be that
day in the studio to promote his record is Mangala. She sang in English and
he sang in Mandingue, in perfect harmony.

Dee Dee Bridgewater should know that the standard for this type of
collaboration is already set very high by Janice de Rosa & Djeli Moussa
Condé (2003's "Aduna" on Next music), particularly "Maniyamba," track 6.

Dr Honoré Kamany

http://www.radiojazzplus.com

http://profile.myspace.com/radiojazzplus