[JPL] Announcing "Jazz Without Borders" on 16-station GA Public Broadcasting Network Sat Midnight - 3 am Sun starting 07 Oct

Mitchell Feldman MitchellFeldman at Comcast.net
Fri Sep 8 13:27:46 EDT 2006

Dear Colleagues -

I am excited to announce the upcoming debut on October 7 of "Jazz
Without Borders," an overnight program I will produce and host that
will be broadcast live weekly from Saturday midnight through Sunday
at 3 am on the 16 station Georgia Public Broadcasting (GPB) network
(weekly cume circa 180,000 listeners).

The text of the article announcing the program to be published in
GPB's October 2006 program guide is below FYI.

Among my goals are: to air more progressive jazz (both historical and
current) in an effort attract younger listeners and establish an
audience base for the music in the years to come; to play “currents”
often as a way to support the jazz music of the moment which is often
overshadowed by or gets ignored by mainstream jazz radio in favor of
popular and archival favorites; to play non-American artists not only
from Latin America and the Caribbean but also from Europe; and to
celebrate the heyday during the 1970s of jazz rock fusion and the
creative music scenes in Chicago (AACM), St. Louis (BAG) and lower
Manhattan (the loft scene).  This will definitely be the type of
program-programming Bob Rogers (among others) would want to listen
to :-)

I will be contacting fellow promoters and labels off list about
getting serviced with CDs (or feel free to contact me directly)
however should you want to go ahead and add me (if I am not on your
list already) please use the address at the bottom of this e-mail.
Weekly playlists will be posted at JPL as well as at www.gpb.org.
There will be a Jazz Without Borders section on their website for
jazz links, CD of the month, jazz birthdays and more -- if you are
interested in linking to my part of the GPB website please let me
know your URL, etc. and I will forward info to the GPB webmaster -
art director.

I'm looking forward to getting back on the air after a hiatus of
several months since my last broadcast at KUVO at the end of May.

Hope you'll tune in!

Best regards and music always,

Mitchell

Georgia Public Broadcasting Expands Its Jazz Programming with Jazz
Without Borders

GPB is pleased to add another original program to its jazz line-up.
Saturdays from midnight to 3AM, beginning October 7, Mitchell Feldman
hosts "Jazz Without Borders" from the studios of WACG/90.7FM in
Augusta. This new show expands the stylistic and geographic spectrum
of jazz currently heard during GPB’s other jazz offerings such as
“The Jazz Spot,” “Piano Jazz” and “Jazz With Bob Parlocha”. Jazz
aficionado Feldman mixes post-1950s modern jazz (i.e. the music of
such masters as Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, John
Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, etc.), classic jazz-rock fusion (electric
Miles, Weather Report, Return to Forever, John McLaughlin, etc.) and
freer forms of jazz (Art Ensemble of Chicago, World Saxophone
Quartet, Air, etc.) from their heydays in the 1970s ; current
releases by artists keeping the mainstream jazz tradition alive today
(i.e. Wynton Marsalis, Pat Martino, the Clayton Brothers, Cedar
Walton, Eldar, etc.); established and emerging visionaries extending
jazz’s stylistic horizons (e.g. Dave Holland, Joe Lovano, Uri Caine,
Dave Douglas, Ravi Coltrane, Vijay Iyer, Chris Potter, Avishai Cohen,
the Bad Plus, etc.); “Jam Bands” (Charlie Hunter, Medeski Martin &
Wood, Soulive, etc.); non-American artists from Europe, the
Caribbean, South America, Africa, etc. (Enrico Rava, Paolo Fresu,
Gianluca Petrella, Michel Portal, Tomasz Stanko, Jan Garbarek, Chucho
Valdes, Oscar Castro Neves, Eddie Palmieri, etc.).

Mitchell Feldman has been publicizing, promoting and marketing jazz,
classical and world music since 1976. As he says “My formative years
that laid the foundation for success I would have both in the U.S.
and abroad were spent in Georgia — on the Contemporary Concert
Committee and as Music and Jazz Director at WUOG-FM while attending
journalism grad school at the University of Georgia in the late 70s;
as Music Program Director and producer of the 1980 Atlanta Free Jazz
Festival and 1981 World Concert Series while working for the City
ofAtlanta Department of Cultural Affairs; and as the weekly freelance
jazz critic for The Atlanta Constitution, music editor of Atlanta
Magazine and jazz columnist for Creative Loafing in the early-mid 80s.”

 From 2004-2006 Feldman hosted “Friday Night Jazz” on Jazz 89 KUVO in
Denver, the #1 major market jazz station in the U.S. He has recently
relocated to Augusta, GA and will host "Jazz Without Borders" live
each week. So, all you night owls, join GPB for even more great jazz
on "Jazz Without Borders," Saturdays, midnight to 3AM.

Listen to Georgia Public Broadcasting Radio online at www.gpb.org

The GPB Network consists of:  Albany 91.7 FM • Athens 91.7 FM •
Augusta 90.7 FM • Brunswick 88.9 FM • Carrollton 90.7 FM • Columbus
88.1 FM • Dahlonega 89.5 FM • Demorest 88.3 FM Fort Gaines 90.9 FM •
Macon 89.7 FM • Rome 97.7 FM • Savannah 91.1 FM • St. Marys 1190 AM •
Tifton 91.1 FM • Valdosta 91.7 FM • Waycross 90.1 FM

Mitchell Feldman
2059 Heckle Street
Augusta, GA 30904 / USA

Phone:  706.550.0263