[JPL] Follow-up to Mitchell's comments on playing new releases

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Sat Sep 9 00:47:25 EDT 2006

Mitchell,

Your show of playing nothing but currents was very similar to my present on-air shift at KSJS (you and I have often compared playlists, but I thought that I would share this on the JPL), my "Gnujazz" program on Mondays, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., on which I play all new releases.  I know that there are programmers out there that would consider this the "kiss of death", but not only do I regularly get calls from listeners wanting to know what I am playing (for which I am delighted),  I firmly believe that we have an audience in San Jose that expects this from us - dating back to our "Creative Source" jazz-rock fusion era of programming back in the mid to late eighties.  Besides, airtime is valuable, and if I am given the choice between playing a new, relatively unknown artist that deserves to be heard vs.a well recognized jazz great from the library.... well, its the new artist every time.  I have great fun each week playing all the new stuff that I have put into rotation, bringing all this great music and giving it some exposure to our audience - and building sets around all new material .... and while you are continuously challenged to keep the mixes interesting, as you say, there is no problem with being creative.  In general, I do recognize the importance and value of playling some classics as part of a mix to hold one's audience, but my show is specifically billed and promoted as being a show of new releases.

Best wishes for success with your new show!

Cheers, and Aloha!

Brad Stone
KSJS-FM
San Jose