[JPL] Gladys Knight - Say What?

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 15:34:11 EDT 2006

My goodness..... Firstly, this release is the surprise of the year. Secondly, for all the singers not usually associated with jazz singing.....that for some reason at this point in their life want to sing jazz.......she's raised the bar for all of them. Again my befuddlement on not listing the Clayton Hamilton Jazz Orchestra on the cover but unlike the Krall disc it's not mainly the arrangements that make this release what it is. Gladys sounds fantastic and is singing these charts with the high level confidence of a seasoned "jazz" singer. I know some might be surprised at hearing that but just listen objectively. In my opinion and strangely enough it's much better than the Krall release in textures, soul, style, depth, concept direction and just down right singing. She sounds amazingly comfortable singing in front of these challenging arrangements and hats off to John and Billy Childs for their masterful input. Go Gladys!!!

  Jae Sinnett