Smokey Robinson!!! Re: [JPL] Gladys Knight - Say What?

Mark Shapiro speaklow at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 11 17:50:37 EDT 2006

The album that astounds me is Smokey Robinson's 'Timeless Love'.

It's a stunning masterpiece. Glowing warmth and great depth of feeling that are a foundation for the stylistic exuberance.

"Tea For Two" is done as slow motion Motown, and it is as good as a definitive vocal version of that song (and that's taking into account some pretty great versions over the last seventy years or so!).

"Fly Me To The Moon" is straight ahead jazz, and the band is right on it - and this is another that's as good as a definitive version! I mean, the emotion that this man draws is incredible. Andy Bey, yeah he's deep. But Smokey Robinson, man, that's another kind of deep too!

"I'm In The Mood For Love". Again, I can't imagine it gets any better than this.

Some of the tracks might not be suitable for straight ahead jazz programming, but they're so outsanding, of such high artistic caliber, that they're the kind that deserve inclusion anyway. And there are tracks that are straight ahead jazz.

This album moves me emotionally every time I listen to it. It's among the very best new jazz albums I've heard in a long long time.

Mark Shapiro