[JPL] The Latin side of Gladys Knight is also good.

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Tue Sep 12 11:43:33 EDT 2006

Although I have not yet received nor heard the jazz recording by Gladys
Knight I am not surprised that it is a "good ole goodun" and obtaining
positive feedback in and out of this forum. A few weeks ago while I was
spending a morning driving George Duke around Denver visiting his family and
KUVO, he mentioned how much he enjoyed Gladys' recording, apparently he
contributed to the album. He then informed that Lady Ree had called him to
work on her next project, 'Retha's return to jazz and blues.

After Ms. Franklin I have always thought Gladys was the best female soul
singer and by far the best female led group of Motown then for other labels
in the '70s, while most enjoy Marvin Gaye's version of I've Heard It Through
The Grapevine the best, for me Gladys and the Pips' rendition which preceded
it was far better.

About 2 years ago a group of US artists, mostly rockers, traveled to Cuba to
record an album with Cuban artists, the project "Bridge to Havana" was
overall a bit disappointing for me however the best track was Gladys
Knight's "Feelin' Good (Vacilón)", she captured the feel of a cha cha chá
perfectly, similar to what Nat Cole had done in the 50s when he recorded in
Cuba. Gladys can sing any style she desires very well, she is under rated in
most people's books.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, jazz89KUVO
The Oasis In The City