[JPL] New Weather Report Box Set "Forecast: Tomorrow" withthe1978 Rockpalast DVD

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 12 13:15:44 EDT 2006

At 09:29 AM 12/09/2006 -0700, you wrote:

>I agree with Bobby, it was about Wayne and Joe.... but personally I loved
>the "Miroslav era" myself!
>
>Brad

>Dr. Brad Stone
>Music Director (Jazz, Blues, World Music)
>and Faculty Advisor
>KSJS-FM

It's kind of like comparing the Yankees of Mantle/Maris, with the Yankees of
Reggie Jackson with the Yankees of today.  All the versions of the Weather
Report groups brought something different to the table, I feel, and the
bassists
reflected those directions.  It would have been very interesting to see if they
would have proved as big and popular if they had continued with their first
lineup a la Live In Tokyo.

I had a listener call the station once when I was playing a track from Live In
Tokyo, and he refused to believe that it was Weather Report playing. He thought
I was pulling a con.  "His" Weather Report was the Pastorius/Erskine group, and
they "never would have played like the band that was playing on the radio".

And Zawinul says in the liner notes to one of the live compilations that
the Pastorius
Erskine group was the best, then a few years ago remarked in an interview that
the Hakim/Bailey band was the best version.

They were all superb.

Maurice Hogue
CKUW Winnipeg