[JPL] Roberta Gambarini/ Ella and Sarah????

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 19:57:34 EDT 2006

Yeah, that was me, Jae.

I heard Ella, I heard Sarah, I heard Carmen and I've heard Roberta, and
yes, I do think she's in the same league.  Hank Jones, James Moody,
Slide Hampton and quite a few others think very highly of her as well
including those on this list who've seen her at Tanglewood, Monterey
and elsewhere.

Haven't you heard her yet?    Please check out her CD "Easy To Love".
  When she sings the solos played by Dizzy and the two Sonnys on "Sunny
Side of the Street" or the heartbreaking Bill Evans tune "Two Lonely
People" or duets with Moody on "Centerpiece" you'll know why we think
she's so great!    Her phrasing, intonation, swing, improvisation and
interpretation are all models of what a great jazz singer can do.

She's also a great teacher, too.  I've seen her workshops and they're
inspiring.

Jim