[JPL] Roberta Gambarini/ Ella and Sarah????

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 20:29:50 EDT 2006

The first time I saw Roberta was at the Monk Vocal Competition in 1998. She
made the finals and was up against Terri Thornton (who won) and Jane
Monheit. For me, Roberta was the most impressive; not only because of her
beautiful vocal instrument but for her musicality and willingness to take
chances. I've seen her a number of times since, including a memorable show
at the Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival when her pianist passed out from the
heat 10 minutes before going on. One of the festival photographers, Bill
King, stepped up and played piano for her. Talk about venturing out of your
comfort zone. They made up some instant arrangements and she not only nailed
each and every number, but she had fun with what could have been a disaster.
She's a total pro without any of the show biz diva nonsense. And as Lawrence
Wheatley used to say, singing in tune never goes out of style.

Thank you Jae for alerting us to the Gladys Knight disc. I'm anxious to hear
what what you're talking about.

Larry