[JPL] Roberta Gambarini/ Ella and Sarah????

Steve Rubin steve at pacific.net
Wed Sep 13 10:47:35 EDT 2006

Jai,
I find the caparison incredulous also.
How can one compare a singer with one or two albums under her belt to
two hall of famers.  I also had the pleasure of seeing both Ella and
Sarah.  Sarah wowed you with incredible technique and vocal control.
To in control if you will.  Ella on the other hand was a true jazz
musician. She had the phenomenal chops but she also had a great
ability to rap herself around a song and improvise. There never was a
Ella concert without her scatting fours with the band.  She was
fearless.  She took chances.  People left a Ella concert with smiles
on their faces. She had the intangible ability to connect with the
audience.  I suggest one should listen to the Ella in Rome: The
Birthday Concert.  This is Ella in her prime on her 40th birthday. I
might add she recorded constantly for over fifty years and left a
massive body of work.

Roberta is a wonderful singer, but to put her up a that kind of
pedestal is a stretch.  Their are half a dozen female singers today
that I feel are equal or even better that her.   I would check back
in other twenty years and think about it again.

One mans opinion.

Steve Rubin