[JPL] Roberta Gambarini

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Wed Sep 13 21:31:17 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/13/2006 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
drbob at modernjazzclassics.com writes:

one way  to look objectively at this issue is to use an analogy, and as
I'm a  baseball junkie I'll use a baseball one.

It certainly would not be  appropriate to compare young Phillies slugger Ryan
Howard to Babe Ruth at  this early stage in Howard's career, but I think it
would be fair to  compare the two at comparable stages of their careers,
which would give  Mr. Howard a valid claim to be Ruth's equal at that moment
in  time.

If one then makes the same comparison with  Ms. Gambini and  say Ella's early
career with Chick Webb, then I think the comparison is  valid.

I've been trying to figure out a way to articulate this valid comparison; I
no longer feel the need...this post does it in fine fashion.

Another way is to evaluate a singer's stature among his/her peers, and
Roberta has probably achieved that equivalent status in comparison to others who
ply their art.

Ed