[JPL] Roberta Gambarini

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Thu Sep 14 07:27:20 EDT 2006

I really enjoy Roberta's singing on her CD. I haven't heard her live but I
think she's one of the most interesting vocalists I have heard in years.

I would not put her in a category with the masters yet. From the first time I
heard her CD I thought she often reminded me of Carmen McRae and occasionally
she reminded me of Ella. I think, for me, she'll have to stop reminding me of
someone else before I'm willing to call her one of the masters. When I listen
to Billie, Ella, Sarah, or Carmen I am not listening to Louis , Bessie or Nat
or the Boswell Sisters. The masters were perhaps influenced by these folks
and others at some early stage of their careers but they moved past those
influences and established their own identity and sound. Roberta's CD, to
these ears, doesn't show that she has gotten to that point yet.

Eric Jackson
8 pm - mid Mon - Thurs
WGBH Boston
89.7 FM