[JPL] Roberta Gambarini

DPolletta at aol.com DPolletta at aol.com
Thu Sep 14 09:06:53 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/14/2006 7:29:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
eric-jackson at comcast.net writes about Roberta G
would not put her in a category with the masters yet. From the first time I
heard her CD I thought she often reminded me of Carmen McRae and occasionally
she reminded me of Ella.>

To me, the McRae comparison is the closest.  Check out the first few tracks
of the disc, where her phrasing and intonation are very close to Carmen.

I understand the hesitation by some to crown her as some new giant, indeed
tis a bit early....but what a pleasure to hear a vocalist who sings in tune, has
a nice voice, sings the songs with a minimum of muss and fuss and doesn't try
to show see that she has feeling by screaming. (see Diane Schuur)  Given a
choice between Roberta, and say Jane Monheit...I know which singer I would
prefer to hear perform.

I look forward to her next date,

Dan Polletta
WCPN-FM