[JPL] Feel/Intellectual

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 11:43:12 EDT 2006

I grew up in the Pittsburgh PA area - just south of the city. The town baseball great Ken Griffey grew up in. In fact he was my neighbor. While growing up I sang in our gospel church choir. My grandmother also sang in a choir and my mother played piano in the church choir. Outside of having James Cleveland, the Mighty Clouds of Joy, etc.....we had Aretha, Otis, Motown, Sam and Dave, Dinah, etc.....in my household. My point with this is that for me I was very exposed to gospel and blues and some jazz music as a young boy. In fact that's all I was exposed to until I heard the Beatles. They sounded strange to me when I first heard them. I didn't understand why at the time but later it became apparent. The soul I was use to hearing and feeling wasn't there. Initially I only appreciated them because of the hype and I thought Ringo was cool.

  Then I heard Hendrix. I heard this screaming loud guitar like I had never heard before but something reached me. I felt him. That was it for me. I learned what that "feeling" was. So from that point on with instrumentalists and vocalists I needed that "feeling" to be able to really enjoy the music I was listening to. Later I learned to "appreciate" talent. Like opera. I don't particularly care for opera but I respect the craft. I respect the level of talent required to perform opera but it was an intellectual appreciation. I learned to differentiate these sensations. That's how I hear much of classical music and unfortunately too much jazz. Intellectual appreciation.

  This is why I love this Gladys Knight release because it reaches my soul. Roberta Gambarini doesn't. With her it's an intellectual appreciation. I admire her control and pacing but her voice is thin to me. She sings pretty but I don't "feel" her - even when she's singing the "Centerpiece" blues. I should definitely feel her there but I don't. I feel Ann Hampton Callaway. Sorry Lenny but I don't feel Karin Allyson but I like her. I feel Sarah, Ella, Billie and Carmen. I feel Leika. I don't feel Diana Krall but I like her. I liked the Beatles but I didn't feel them. I felt Cream. I feel Jeff Beck. I feel Cold Blood. I feel vocalist Judi D. Anyone check out that CD yet? There's a surprise. Why these wild set of emotions for me? I'm not really sure but I'm sure it has much to do with how I was brought up and what I was exposed to very young. For me that's the fundamental difference. What I can feel and what I can intellectually appreciate. It's the proverbial cherry on the
 toping when both can happen.

  Jae Sinnett