[JPL] Feel/Intellectual

DPolletta at aol.com DPolletta at aol.com
Thu Sep 14 11:59:35 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/14/2006 11:44:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:
This is why I love this Gladys Knight release because it reaches my soul.
Roberta Gambarini doesn't. With her it's an intellectual appreciation. I admire
her control and pacing but her voice is thin to me. She sings pretty but I
don't "feel" her - even when she's singing the "Centerpiece" blues. I should
definitely feel her there but I don't. I feel Ann Hampton Callaway. Sorry Lenny but
I don't feel Karin Allyson but I like her. I feel Sarah, Ella, Billie and
Carmen>

While I like Roberta's disc quite a bit, you do a good job of describing her
shortcoming for me as a listener.  She doesn't seem to have a real feel for
the blues, even when singing them.

 I've often felt the same way about Ella, not only when performing the blues,
but most material.  She is a brilliant singer, great pitch and time, but I
don't really believe her when she sings, the way I do with Carmen and Lady Day.

That blues feeling is a big dividing line for me.  Anthony Braxton's name was
raised recently.  No matter what he plays, I never get any sense of the blues
in his work.  His advocates would argue that isn't part of what he trying to
do and I can accept that case, but as a listener having that element of blues
in your music is one thing that definitely draws me toward some musicians and
pushes me away from others.

Different strokes...

Dan Polletta
WCPN-FM